For a management graduate, it can be a bit difficult to select between two prestigious B-schools or to compare them. The Welingkar Institute of Management and KJ Somaiya Institute of Management are two of the most well-known institutions of management education in Mumbai.
Both are reputable national business schools and we will compare both based on the following factors :
Get My University always believes in providing honest and most critical reviews without any sugar quoting which can assist aspirants in making an informative decision.
Our expert team is always available for any professional help with complete information to the best of our knowledge.
- Welingkar Institute of Management is located in Matunga, a central suburb of Mumbai.
- K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management is located in Vidya Vihar, a suburb in the eastern part of Mumbai.
- Prin. L. N. Welingkar Institute of Management Development & Research (WeSchool) is a Business School in India. The institution was founded in 1977 by the Shikshana Prasaraka Mandali (SP Mandali) a prominent educational trust in Maharashtra. The SP Mandali has a long history of contributing to education in the state. Dr. Uday Salunkhe is the Director of this Institute.
- The K J Somaiya Institute of Management (KJSIM) formerly known as K J Somaiya Institute of Management Studies & Research (SIMSR) is an independent business school located in Somaiya Vidyavihar, Mumbai. It was established in 1981 as a part of the K. J. Somaiya Trust and Somaiya Vidyavihar. KJSIM was granted the status of autonomous institute by the University Grants Commission in May 2013. Raman Ramachandran, Ph.D is the Director of this Institute.
- There are 180 PGDM seats available at Welingkar Institute of Management, and the CAT, CMAT, XAT, ATMA, and GMAT are the entrance exams accepted in Wellingkar Institute of Management.
- Conversely, KJ Somaiya Institute of Management offers a total of 600 seats, along with 30 seats dedicated to healthcare management and other 40 seats reserved for MBA sports management.
- The Welingkar Mumbai MMS fee is INR 6.8 Lakhs. It is the total fees for the course and it is affiliated by Mumbai University. The total tuition fee of PGDM offered by Welingkar Mumbai is INR 13 lakh and it is approved by AICTE.
- KJ Somaiya MBA fees is INR 19.94 Lakhs and for MBA SM the fees is INR 12.61 Lakhs.
- The Welingkar Institute of Management 2021-23 provided the highest salary at INR 24 LPA which increased by about 22.2% as compared to year 2020-22. The Executive placement batch has 80 Pre Offers (PPOs), 10 percent of the 2021-23 batch has got PPOs. Average across programs is in the range 12-13 lakh.
- KJ Somaiya highest package stood at INR 25.96 LPA whereas KJ Somaiya average package stood at INR 12.32 LPA. A total of 117 recruiters participated in the placement drive. Some of the top recruiters included Amazon, EY, PwC, Hindustan Unilever Limited etc. Average across programs is in the range 12-13 lakh.
- Welingkar Mumbai is an autonomous institute affiliated with the University of Mumbai and is accredited by NBA (National Board of Accreditation) and approved by AICTE.
- KJ Somaiya Institute of Management Mumbai is accredited by AICTE, NBA, AIU, and AACSB.
- The Welingkar Institute of Management Mumbai ranking is 73rd in the management category under NIRF Ranking 2023, 39th in the India Today Ranking 2023, 16th in the Outlook ICARE Ranking and 54th in the IIRF Ranking 2023.
- KJ Somaiya, Mumbai MBA ranking by NIRF is 45 out of 125 colleges in India in 2023, 25th out of 272 colleges in India in India Today Ranking 2023 and 20th out of 120 colleges in India in the IIRF Ranking 2023.
1. Welingkar institute of management
- Besides having international partnerships with universities globally for exchange, joint research, study tours; We School collaborates with other universities/ companies for select engagements.
2. KJ Somaiya Institute of management
- Students Exchange Program
- Faculty Exchange Program
- International Research Collaboration
- Global Citizenship Approach
- ICT based Internationalization
- International Brand Building
- International Alumni Connect
- Study Destination in India
- International Students Recruitment
- Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research, offers a variety of specialization courses for its PGDM (Post Graduate Diploma in Management) and MBA (Master of Business Administration) programs namely- Marketing, Finance, Human Resources (HR), Operations, Information Management, Business Design, Retail Management, E- Business, Rural and Agribusiness, Healthcare Management, Media & Entertainment.
- KJ Somaiya specialization areas are Data Science & Analytics, Financial Management, Marketing Management , Human Resource Management , Sports Management.
Get My University Analysis
Welingkar Mumbai's PGDM in Research and Business Analytics course is rated 3.8 out of 5 by two genuine verified students, while the same course at K J Somaiya Institute of Management is rated 4.2 out of 5 by 180 students. However, K.J. Somaiya is better in placements, which is the most important factor. They provide 100% placement for both summer internship and final placement, and as we have noted, the rankings also speak volumes.
In conclusion, K.J. Somaiya College and Welingkar College are both respectable establishments with a variety of management programs, knowledgeable instructors, excellent placement histories, and vibrant alumni networks whereas Welingkar College, however, has a weak alumni network.
An MBA aspirant should take into account parameters like program specializations, preferred locations, and your personal objectives and interests. To make an informed choice, you must visit the campuses and talk to the existing students.